Author Topic: Peugeot 106 wheel bearing  (Read 6433 times)

Offline big daddy

• View Profile
Peugeot 106 wheel bearing
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
Just got myself a 106 and the front passenger side wheel bearing needs changing could someone please quickly explain how to do it for me.
 ;D Many thanks

Chris

Offline DocBrown

• Global Moderator
  • Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/tk42138
Re: Peugeot 106 wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
It's quite involved process changing a front wheel drive wheel bearing. You will need access to a proper bearing press or puller. I don't recommend attempting to change the bearing unless you have the right tools since the forces involved with removal and installation are very high. Anything from a few tons right up to 20 tons force needed to install some front-wheel drive hub bearings.
My old Pug 309 needed 10 tons before it shifted and that was after a clean up and a soak in Plusgas overnight with the pressure on it.

To remove hub from vehicle you basically have to;

1)With car on its wheels, loosen off the driveshaft hub nut. I've put up a video on my You Tube channel showing how to release  a front wheel drive hub nut safely. (www.youtube.com/TK42138)
2)Jack up car and support on axle stands
3)Disconnect track rod end nut and release joint
4)Remove lower balljoint nut and seperate hub from lower suspension arm. Best to disconnect anti-rollbar droplinks from both sides otherwise you'll be fighting the anti-rollbar when trying to push down on the suspension arm to separate the hub.
5)Make sure brake sensors and brake hoses are free to move and not strained
6)Remove brake caliper and tie up to prevent hose from straining.
7)Remove caliper to hub bracket and then brake disc.
8)Carefully pop the hub from the lower arm while pushing the driveshaft out of the hub. Support driveshaft to stop it pulling out of gearbox or straining the CV joint. If the hub is on the drivers side then you will have to release the inner shaft bearing support so the shaft can move. If it's this side you may as well drain the gearbox first otherwise the oil will leak out if the shaft is pulled.
Check rubber gaiters on the CV joints for splits, tears or leaks. Better now to find a problem than when it's all back together after the job is done.
Now you have to seperate the suspension strut from the hub by releasing the strut to hub clamp bolt. Will probably need a good clean up and soak before it wants to shift. Use hide or rubber mallet to 'persuade' the two apart.

Take the now separated hub to a garage or engineering shop and get them to remove old bearings and press in the new ones. Often they will charge a small fee to do this but if you can carry out the dismantling first, it will keep labour costs down if you only need to take along the hub etc. Should take no more than 20 minutes for a garage or engineering shop to press out and install new bearing/hub flange. They often work on much larger bearings and do this kind of stuff day in day out.

If you do it yourself....
Don't use a hammer to try and tap in the bearing. This never works properly and the bearing will go in at an angle and either lock up or get chipped. Bearings are specially heat treated and don't like being hammered in. A hammered in bearing will start droning and wear prematurely - you'll soon be back to square one. Also, if your car has ABS some ABS specific bearings have a certain direction they need to be pushed in. These ABS bearing kits come with a simple magnet or a label/etched indicator to determine which way it has to face. Chances are your 106 doesn't have that sort of set up but be aware anyway.

Hope the above helps or at least gives insight into what's involved. If this is your first bearing swap job then I'd allow plenty of time, hire or buy the proper tools, read the Haynes manual and remove the hub and then take it along for someone else to swap the bearing. Even with my hydraulic bearing press, there's some bearings I still take to a machine shop as they normally have big 50 ton press with many different press plates, spacers etc. I've worked on cars for many years (professionally and at home) but there are still certain jobs that sound simple but can end up being a real pain in the neck to do.
Let us know how you get on,
Cheers
Doc

Offline big daddy

• View Profile
Re: Peugeot 106 wheel bearing
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks for that doc have done a fair bit of work on many different cars over the years but like to leave these things to the guys who know what they are doing.
Sometimes though its nice to try yourself but i think this one is better left to those who know thanks again
Chris :)