Author Topic: removal of heater matrix on Pug 306.  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Baleen Blanco

• View Profile
removal of heater matrix on Pug 306.
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
Is there a better, or less complicated, way of removing the heater matrix fron under the facia on a 306. Or should I be resigned to stripping the whole dash out. Help. Thanks for any assistance offered. BB.

Offline volcane

• View Profile
    • http://www.renegadegroup2.blogspot.com/
removal of heater matrix on Pug 306.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
There is no easy way to do it, whole dash out i think. seen it done b4 and it doesnt look fun!
You dont know how it works untill you take it apart!

Offline DocBrown

• Global Moderator
  • Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/tk42138
Re: removal of heater matrix on Pug 306.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
Quote from: "Baleen Blanco"
Is there a better, or less complicated, way of removing the heater matrix fron under the facia on a 306. Or should I be resigned to stripping the whole dash out. Help. Thanks for any assistance offered. BB.

On the Xantia you can carefully cut around lower dash/matrix area to enable matrix to be removed but even though the 306 and Xantia share many componenets, I'm not sure if this method can be used on the 306. I guess it all depends on condition of car, history and if you can live with holes cut into lower dash/centre console area.  See what the Haynes manual says otherwise don't under-estimate the time needed to remove dashboard. I had to do similar job on a Citroen AX GT and despite the relative simplicity of the car it still took all day to swap. It also helps to have assistant as dashboards are heavy and on the 306 you have to align dash bolt holes up with studs (just under windscreen) otherwise it won't go in. Plus you have to make sure wire and cables, heater controls are not pinched or trapped as the dash is re fitted.
Also Peugeot and Citroen trim plastic quality is not the best. The threaded dash mounting studs are 'moulded in' and can go brittle with age. Often these can snap thus preventing the dash from being firmly attached. The only way to repair is to super-glue then use two part epoxy paste such as milliput or the great JB Weld two part expoxy stuff. I had to use it to repair car door handles (on Rover 200, 827's) and Pug 309 dashboard mounts.
As the weather is getting warmer you could always bypass the heater pipes by joining them together until you can get time to fix it.

Doc