Author Topic: VW GOLF GTI MK2 OIL PRESSURE BUZZER.  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Gersen

• View Profile
VW GOLF GTI MK2 OIL PRESSURE BUZZER.
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:41:43 PM »
Common low oil pressure causes are a failed oil pump, blocked oil pump pick up, blocked oil galleries, blown head gasket, ****ged main bearings or big end bearings, or a very very low oil level. All would cause the buzzer to come on. So would a dodgy bit of wiring so you might want to check out that the wire to the sensor hasn't been damaged and shorting out somewhere etc.

There should be two oil pressure sensors one is the 0.3 bar sensor that turns out the red oil pressure warning light when the engine starts and the other is a 1.8 bar sensor which should only activate the buzzer if the engine speed is greater than 2k rpm and the oil pressure is less than 1.8 bar.

You mention that you know the oil pressure is okay - how do you know it is?

The sensor in the cylinder head with usually a brown lead is the low pressure one and the one on the oil filter header is the high pressure one that seems to be causing you the grief (or reporting correctly things aren't well).

Hope this helps

--- The back is covered in mud, the heater switch has lost positions 1 and 2, the rear window fogs up all the farqing time....Can ya tell what it is yet Golfaroo's? ---
--- The back is covered in mud, the heater switch has lost positions 1 and 2, the rear window fogs up all the farqing time....Can ya tell what it is yet Golfaroo's? ---

Offline Badge

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 03:19:10 AM »
Thanks for info Gersen I have had the pressure checked and she runs at 3 bar over 2000 rpm, and the light and buzzer are on constantly, so I am going to install an oil guage and remove the buzzer, as far as I know the buzzer is on the back of the speedo or rev counter so I just need to know how to remove or disable the buzzer.

Cheers,

Badge.

Offline Gersen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »
I would suggest a careful consultatation of the Haynes manual electrical diagrams or trying to locate the buzzer by ear. I'm afraid I don't know where the little bugger is.

The thing which worries me is that the low pressure and high pressure sensors are on different circuits and if they are both alarming and you have replaced the sensors.......

Bear in mind that if you have a blocked gallery due to a gasket having eaten itself at some stage you may well end up with normal oil pressure at some points but with hideously low oil pressure at others.

If you're 1000% sure the oil pressure is alright go for

the buzzer removal or

- Try shorting out the connection to the sensor to earth and see if that stops it - alternatively just take off the wire from the sensor (I don't know if the sensor open circuits or close circuits if there's a fault you see) In theory one should stop the buzzer buzzing as it will seem to the system that the sensor is saying everything is A OK.

If the later suggestion works and your sensor is working correctly you may well have an oil pressure problem

Let us know how you get on and GL [:)]

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 03:49:49 AM »
hi i,m new to this and have a similar problem i have done all the above and about to do clock change to see if it is the buzzer. if not i,m looking at bearings. if you want to stop the buzzer as gersen says earth the high pressure one to the rocker cover bolt. When i got my car somebody had already done this but i wanted it back to normal,good luck.

Offline Mustang429

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 09:37:06 AM »
Hi
I had the same problem on my Jetta 16v GTi.
In the garage for 2 days and all they could tell me was to replace The dash circuit boards till the buzzer stopped.
As they're not cheap I put up with it and then......hey presto it worked properly.
So long as your oil pressure IS ok, then disconnect the buzzer and go look for circuit boards in the breakers yards!
Cheers

Offline Badge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 05:34:40 PM »
Chaps,

I have a 1988 Mk2 VW GTI 8Valve.

The problem is the low oil pressure buzzer keeps on coming on, I have changed the senors on the head and oil filter housing and the oil pressure is good, but the but the friggin' buzzer is still going !!!

I have thought about burning her out and reporting her stolen, but I have descided to install a mechanical oil pressure guage instead !!

How can I disable or remove the buzzer and is it pretty straight forward as I my technical skills are ****e !!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peace.

Badge.