Author Topic: Peugeot 306 won't start...  (Read 5479 times)

Offline tel boy

• View Profile
Peugeot 306 won't start...
« on: August 28, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »
It sounds to me like you have a dodgy starter motor solenoid.
(The solenoid is the small cylinder that piggy backs on the starter motor.)

First thing is to check the wiring to the solenoid …the thick positive cable from the battery & the thin wire….check that these are connected securely & aren’t covered in corrosion…if they look nice & clean give them a squirt of WD40 just for the sake of it…..be careful as the thick wire from the battery is live & if you are going to tighten the terminal that this goes to you should disconnect the battery because, if the spanner touches anything metal it will short out!

If the connections are sound & clean then the problem is probably that the solenoid is worn out or the starter motor is sticking intermittingly. (It’s very seldom that a starter motor breaks / wears out… it’s normally always the solenoid)

The solenoid can be replaced on the starter motor but you would have to take the complete unit to an auto electrical workshop to have this done.

Another possibility is that the starter motor could just be sticking intermittingly & this can often be cured by removing it & lubricating the shaft that the cog runs on.

Hope this helps.

Offline anelson2000

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »
Thanks, tel boy for your suggestions - light is fading a bit now for any proper investigating but I'll get out there tomorrow and have a look; WD40 at the ready!

Cheers, Adrian.

Offline tel boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by anelson2000

turn the key and there's nothing - perhaps a faint "click" from the engine direction.
Just re-read you original post & realised that I missed the bit above….

The clicking noise will be the solenoid operating…. it clicks every time it operates….click when you turn the key to the start position….click when you release the key from the start position.
You don’t normally hear it click as the starter motor turning masks the noise.

As long as it clicks every time when there is no operation from the starter motor, it shows it is working ok.

I would put my money on a sticking (Dry) starter motor…I have had this on a few cars & the symptoms are exactly as you describe….it will normally get worse over time until no amount of swearing or praying will get it to turn over....however this is when a swift bash with a hammer may just work !

Obviously check the connections first (as per my first post) but if they are ok your next step will be to remove the starter motor & lube up the pinion shaft….use a few drops of engine oil & maybe a smear of grease.

Hopefully this will cure your problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline anelson2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
Well! All connections seem sound and (perhaps disturbingly) clean ... alas, removing starter motor I think is a bit beyond my Haynes "2 spanner" abilities so I suppose a trip to the garage is going to be in order - though reckon I will have and enjoy the holiday first!

Thanks for your help once again.

Offline tel boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:51:43 PM »
No problem....hope you get it sorted ok.

Offline brilec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
Did you get any further with this?
Another check can easily be made. Use a large screwdriver, and short between the large terminal on the solenoid (from the battery) to the small spade terminal (from the ign switch). If this gets the motor spinning then you could have a faulty contact in the ignition switch. I have known a couple of these cars with this.
My solution was to add a relay to the circuit from the ign sw. The solenoid takes quite a current to operate, and the contacts in the switch are at their limit. Thus if you add a relay, so that all the switch is doing id switching the relay then the fault goes away.
In any case the sorting of the terminals as stated above can negate the need for bump/push starting.

Offline anelson2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
Hi, long time no post after a trouble-free 18 months but suddenly I have an issue! Sods law a few days before a holiday.

First off the car : 1995 306 xrdt 1.9 smoke belcher

Starting a couple of weeks ago it intermittently won't start; not that it's struggling to turn, but literally won't do anything. I put the key in, wait for the plugs to warm up and turn the key and there's nothing - perhaps a faint "click" from the engine direction.

Sometimes it can be rectified by waiting and turning the key again, but more recently it's been a bump start. Quite frustrating as there seems to be no pattern (perhaps only the location which always seems to be an embarrassing one), however - short journeys don't seem to affect it as much as long ones. For example yesterday I drove 100 miles to the inlaws, spent the day there and in the evening started her up no problems, drove back home switched the car off and out of curiosity waited 10 minutes on the drive and tried to start it - dead, nothing.

I get the usual lights on the dashboard so there seems to be some degree of power, have also tried replacing the battery with no measurable success.

Really appreciate any suggestions or comments! Have already spent the cars value on repairs and MOT's and things in the last year so would be really useful to have a home fix :)

Thanks in advance/
Cheers, Adrian.