Author Topic: Renault laguna airbag light  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Burnerman

• Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
Renault laguna airbag light
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:00:13 PM »
Check the electrical connections under the seats that connect to the belt pre tensioners  mate.  My guess is that the valet has disconnected them.  Cheers John

Live long and prosper
Especially in Northumberland
Live long and prosper

Offline silvershadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:08:01 PM »
Cheers mate,
would that be the Front Or back seats.Pls keep me right here, not really sure what i am looking for, here

Offline Burnerman

• Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:27:14 AM »
Under the front seats you will find a block wiring connector.  These control the pyrotechnics to the seat belt pretensioners.  The wires are rather thin and the connections less than secure, so when the seat is moved or interfered with in some way, the connections part.  It seems to be rather common on all Renaults as well as others, and its well worth a look.  Dont worry, the airbag won't deploy, but make sure the ignition is off anyway.  Good luck!  Cheers John

Live long and prosper
Live long and prosper

Offline silvershadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:29:42 PM »
Hi mate,
no joy with the pretensioners under the seats, everything looked connected there.
Just also wanted to say, that its not a flashing airbag light, but one that stays on constant.
Funny thing is, now i seemed to have developed a Fuse Problem.
The no 10 fuse, which controls the Dipped headlights has blown, and everytime i replace it and turn The key again, it blows again. Have checked all the lights and they are all ok, but this fuse problem remains.  Any idea's , if these 2 may be interconnected

cheers

Tom

Offline Burnerman

• Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Cant see any connection between the two, Tom - I think I'd disconnect each headlamp in turn and see if the fuse blows again....if it does then there must be a direct short to earth somewhere I'm afraid.  Sorry to hear there has been no joy with the connectors under the seat - maybe a trip to Renault is in order to have a diagnostic check.  Best of luck with it - cheers John

Live long and prosper
Live long and prosper

Offline silvershadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:10:04 PM »
Thanks mate,
just another quick question. I have been reading up, if you disconnect the pretentioners under the seat (after disc battery & leave 15-20), and clean the connetector, this may help solve maybe a dirty, or bad connector. If you ever tried anything like this ?.

and if so, the pretensioner connections under the 2 front seats, are these classed as  "all the connection" , or just the ones with the orange connections ?

cheers

Tom

Offline Burnerman

• Car Parts Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 08:33:49 PM »
I think its worth disconnecting the block connectors, and spraying them with some contact cleaner or similar - it sure can't do any harm!  The orange wires are the important ones, but the other wires are the earth returns and so need to be clean too.  Honestly, I see a lot of bother with these.  Cheers John

Live long and prosper
Live long and prosper

Offline silvershadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:38:51 AM »
No joy under the seats.
only managed to remove the black block connectors. The orange ones just would not part

Offline waynedl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:25:51 AM »
that tells me they probably need a clean then
if you really can't seperate them, get a couple of connector blocks and a bit of wire, cut the orange wire back and replace it, only need to do a bit and this is last thing to try but I'm pretty sure now that your fault lies there

Offline Geordie Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
I realise this is an old thread, but im having grief under the seats too !

I have the problem where the airbag light is permanently on the dash. It has happened before and was sorted by the dealer last year. They said it is just the sensitive plug under the passenger seat. This definately rings true as I did see it come on just as some sat down on the seat or slid it forward.

I have had a look under the seat and to the side by the seatbelt socket there is a twisted pair of wires going into a plastic (blue/yellow) block that is attached to a silver tube (which I guess is the pretensioner). The trouble is I can't figure out how to unplug it. The wires come out of the block at right angles to the tube, almost like the plastic is an elbow joint. Does anyone know if this whole thing just pulls out of the silver, or does the wire block disconnect from the rest of the housing ? Its really hard to see how it is held.

Any help would be great, or if there is anything else I can try before paying 50 quid for a 5 minute job.

Offline mistuart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »
I am replying to this post after reading the horrifying previous post PLEASE NEVER TRY AND CUT THE WIRES THEN REJOIN THEM !!!!
I worked at a Landrover dealership and have seen pretensioner wires cut and joined with chocblock!!
The dealer refused to touch the car until the owner agreed to have a new costly loom replaced.
The reason the connectors are hard to remove is so they dont accidentally come apart in the event of an accident.
I have not seen a Lagunas wiring but there will be some way of parting them.
If you cannot part them I would for safety sake go to an independant Renault garage or a dealer to get it sorted.
How much value do you put on your life?

Offline silvershadow21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 05:21:29 PM »
Renault Laguna 1.8 eng 16 valve, year 2000

just came home from work there. Dont know weather related or not, but after having my car valeted today, when i turned on the engine, a few hours later, i noticed that the drivers airbag light remained on, during my journey home.
after turning the engine off and then back on, it seemed to stay off, but after about 10 seconds, it came back on.

Is there anything else that could be connected to this light remaining on ?.

Would the airbag still be likely to deploy at all whilst this light is on?? Should I even be driving with this situation?

and if not, and its a Garage repair, what the Charge likely to be ?

cheers

Tom

Ps
Does it need to be a Renault Garage